The company was founded in 1901 by Francis E. Collingwood with FEC Limited initially a manufacturer of textiles. In 1922, the company developed further with the appointment of Francis’s nephew Max Wilson. In 1956, Charles Maeers – godson of Max – joined FEC and the family proceeded to grow the business together.
In 1961, and some 60 years after the founding of FEC, the electrical division of the company (including lighting products) called Collingwood VLM was established by Brian Maeers and Max Wilson.
Fast forward to 2001 and, 100 years after the establishment of FEC, the company name officially changed to Collingwood Lighting and the development of LED lighting commenced. In 2002, Collingwood was the first LED lighting company to supply a range of purpose-built LED lighting for the UK electrical wholesale market.
To strengthen Collingwood’s position as a market leading innovator of LED lighting across the globe, the company began distributing lighting in Europe, Asia/Pacific, Africa and the Americas, and, in 2011, acquired the French company Seelight SASU (now known as Collingwood France).
For nearly twenty years, Collingwood Lighting has been the pioneer in the LED lighting industry. As a British designer and manufacturer of LED lighting, the company was also the first to produce 100% waterproof and sealed for life products and the first to provide a fit for purpose fire rated downlight as well as offering customers a 7-year extended warranty.